Fix for “Pidgin not connecting to Yahoo on Lenny”

For last few weeks Pidgin(from lenny stable repo) was failing to enable my Yahoo account. I tried reading up on the internet and changing hostname etc, but none of that worked. Upgrade to pidgin/testing or unstable looked like too disruptive and could have made my installation unstable. So i decided to compile it from source, which worked, but with a few quirks. So here is what you need to do:
Get the source from

$ sudo apt-get build-dep pidgin
$ sudo apt-get install network-manager-dev
$ tar -jxvf pidgin-2.5.8.tar.bz2 #extract source from downloaded archive
$ sudo mv pidgin-2.5.8 /usr/local/ #hack: when you 'make install' pidgin it doesn't work(reports some smiley missing or something), so we will invoke it directly from the built-source directory
$ cd /usr/local/pidgin-2.5.8
$ ./configure
$ make
$ sudo make install
$ pidgin # and watch it fail, with some file missing problem
$ sudo chown -R root:root . # as we are going to use this as install location
$ /usr/local/pidgin-2.5.8/pidgin/pidgin #execute pidgin, add your account, and watch it connect to Yahoo

The same executable can be added to session preferences to start pidgin on session load.

About these ads

About this entry